In the Year 1894 , it was Seevalasamuthram Christians the SPG branch who started the church in Dharavi at that period .Two persons played an important role in the development and nurturing of this branch church - Sir Larimer and Rev. St. J. Diego. Sir Larimer was the then Collector of Mumbai. An Armenian by birth, he learnt the Tamil language and used to preach the Gospel among the non-Christian Tamil community since 1887. He played a major role in the purchasing of the land where the present Good Shepherd Church stands and also provided material aid to the Seevalasamuthram Christians in purchasing the land. Rev. St. J. Diego, the then Presbyter of the Byculla church, conducted the service for the new church under a tamarind tree.
Before years in 1897, the SPG society from England granted a donation of 270 pounds .With this aid and the offerings & donations form the Seevalasamuthram Christians to built a small church for the first time in 1901. The church was dedicated by the then Bishop of Mumbai Rt. Rev. James McArthur on 21st April 1901. Since that Sunday was celebrated as the Good Shepherd Sunday, the newly dedicated church was christened as the Good Shepherd Church. Started in 1894 and the church structure built in 1901 by Seevalasamuthram Christians, the Church was maintained by these Christians themselves.
The church which was built on 21st April 1901, celebrated its Platinum Jubilee in 1976 in a grand manner. The Jubilee was celebrated on 24th & 25th April. The then Bishop of Mumbai, Rt. Rev. Dr. Donald M. Kennedy, D.D and the then Bishop of CSI Tirunelveli Diocese Rt. Rev. S. Daniel Abraham, B.D S.T.M were the honored Chief Guests.
As years rolled by, Christians from over 300 villages in Tirunelveli district migrated and settled in Dharavi. These led to shortage of space in the church. This led to the demolition of the old structure and building of the new present structure. The construction work of the new church began in September 1990 during the tenure of Rt. Rev. Ananda Maharajan.The new church with a big front altar was dedicated on the Good Shepherd Sunday, 14th April 1991 by the then Bishop of Mumbai, Rt. Rev. Dr. Samuel Bright Joshua PhD a midst great joy, grandeur and fireworks.
The Church With a Motive For Education Started their First Mission on Education field as Nursery School Followed By Junior and Senior Kinder garten. Many Childrens Were been Placed Under Good Shepherd Nursery School.
The Church Celebrated its 120th Anniversary and 23rd dedication Year on 14th April 2013. On May 2013 Primary School of Ist std Started and same the church also Purchased a New House for kindly needs.